Dental bridges are an extremely cosmetic, natural looking restoration.
A traditional dental bridge is a custom-made restoration consisting of two dental crowns with one or more replacement teeth (pontics) fused between them. It is permanently placed between two or more existing natural teeth. The bridge is held in place by placing crowns on the supporting natural teeth on each side of space to be filled.
In Need of Dental Replacement?
Dr. Malone is a cosmetic dentist who is committed to providing quality dental replacements such as implants and bridges. Call 760-291-8454 today to schedule a complimentary consultation appointment to learn more about these various treatment options.
Dental bridges offer a number of advantages:
- Restore your beautiful smile – The gap in your smile is filled with a tooth or teeth that are virtually indiscernible from your natural teeth.
- Maintain your facial contours – They provide support for your lips and cheeks, preventing changes in your facial musculature.
- Prevent chewing and jaw problems – A bridge will distribute the forces of chewing equally across your teeth. People tend to chew on the opposite side from the missing teeth. Over time, this can affect the bite and cause problems with the jaws.
- Enable clear speech – The tongue meets the back of the teeth to pronounce certain sounds, missing teeth can make it difficult to speak clearly.
- Maintain tooth Alignment – The teeth adjacent to a space tend to lean into the gap, a dental bridge prevents changes in the positions of the nearby teeth.
A dental bridge lasts five to ten years on average, but can last much longer with excellent care. It is crucial to maintain regular dental visits and excellent oral hygiene, making sure to clean under and around the bridge carefully. A bridge floss threader makes it possible to floss under the bridge with ease. There are several types of dental bridges available, each appropriate in different situations. A resin-bonded bridge may be used in the front of the mouth and a cantilever bridge is an option when there are only teeth on one side of the gap.
Permanent Bridge vs Implant
Generally, an implant is the best replacement for a missing tooth or teeth. However, whether to use an implant or a fixed bridge has to be determined on a case by case basis. Each circumstance is unique to the individual. Before deciding, you should know the pros and cons of each procedure for your particular situation.
Call us at 760-291-8454 for a consultation appointment. Dr. Malone will evaluate your mouth, learn what like and don’t like about your smile, and help determine a treatment plan that makes sense for your lifestyle.